INVOLVE uses this term to cover:
• patients and potential patients
• people who use health and social care services
• informal (unpaid) carers
• disabled people
• members of the public who are potential recipients of health promotion programmes, public health programmes, and social service interventions
• groups asking for research because they believe they have been exposed to potentially harmful substances or products (for example pesticides or asbestos)
• organisations that represent people who use services.
Other organisations have different definitions of this term.